Erst- und Originalausgaben zur Architektur-, Kunst- und Design-Geschichte
Bartning (2).jpg

Girkon, Paul.

Die Stahlkirche. Evangelischer Kultbau auf der Pressa Köln 1928.

Mit einem Vorwort von Otto Bartning.

Berlin, Furche Verlag 1928.

54, (2)pp. text, plans, and illustrations through page 29, following which are numbered leaves of illustrations 30-54, with 28 photo illustrations, 4 in color.

23 x 15 cm. Original publisher´s wrappers. (Cover design by Otto Dorfner).


Otto Bartning (1883 - 1959) was a Modernist German architect, architectural theorist and teacher. He became known as an early reformer of art and design education after the First World War together with his friend, Walter Gropius, among others. In 1918, he planned with Gropius the concept and contributed to the programme for the Bauhaus. He influenced Gropius' 1919 Bauhaus manifesto with its workshop principles and openness to the latest international influences. His ideas for the Bauhochschule in 1926 were developments on the same theme. Following the closure of the Bauhaus, the government of Thuringia invited Otto Bartning to become director of a replacement school in Weimar, the Staatliche Bauhochschule (Building High School), sited in the Henry van de Velde building. The new school, often known as "The Other Bauhaus", sought to combine traditional academic teaching methods with those of the Bauhaus in an attempt to integrate craft and design. However, the original Bauhaus was more modernist in approach, while the new school was more pragmatic and craft based. Students were encouraged to participate in real projects and to market their designs commercially. In 1927, for example, the weaving department produced material for the German Pavilion at the Milan Fair, designed by Otto Bartning's architectural office. The Pressa Church in Cologne, also known as the Stahlkirche, is his best known work, a steel frame and steel and glass walls. The steel-clad walls are in the shape of a hyperbola on plan and rise from within a low square flat-roofed base. The church is lit through stained glass in tall narrow windows and is totally without ornament. Jaeger 0584, ills. 296.

Lower spine frayed.

Antiquariat Heinz Rohlmann • Untere Dorfstraße 49 • 50829 Köln • Telefon 0221.34666601 | Impressum | AGB | Datenschutz